Friday 3 August 2012

Top 10 songs for you now.

I'm going to try to link in some videos for these where I can. But unfortunately I can't for all of them because some of the songs that are my favourites right now are by friends of mine, and Youtube doesn't know about them yet. But I strongly recommend going looking for their music!

1. King of Anything by Sara Bareilles. This was introduced to me a few days ago by some friends who thought of me when they heard it. It pretty much sums up what I think when I encounter some... interesting people.



2. Cheap Flights by Fascinating Aida. Hilarious. Having just gone through buying flights to go on holiday in October, this is pretty spot on. If you've ever bought flights you will love this.



3. Arctic Winter by Simon de Voil. No video for this I'm afraid. Simon is a friend of mine with a really inspiring life. He writes music that goes straight to my heart. Heartbreakingly beautiful in every way. You can listen to it on his website at www.simondevoil.co.uk.

4. Our Love Goes Deeper Than This by Duke Special. This song sounds so cheerful (even though the lyrics aren't if you listen to them). Neil Hannon of Divine Comedy fame does vocals on this track too, which is awesome. I love the video for it too. It really shows off his quirky weirdness perfectly. His albums are consistently brilliant and I recommend you go buy them all!



5. Songs of Love by The Divine Comedy. This felt appropriate to come next! I used to listen to the Casanova album in the car with Mum when I was younger. This was never one of the ones she liked though. I only started listening to him again recently, and I think this is one of my favourites. Some of you may also recognise this as the Father Ted theme tune.



6. King of Birds by Karine Polwart. I went to a Celtic Connections show earlier this year, and she sang this at it. Very beautiful song inspired by the protests outside St Paul's Cathedral. As usual, stunning vocals from Karine Polwart.




7. Shady Grove by Kris Drever. My friends covered this at their gig the other night and I was reminded of how much I love this song. Kris Drever is incredibly talented; there isn't a song he plays or sings that I don't like. This is one of the best though.



8. Act IV by Roddy Woomble. Very interesting to listen to if you know a bit of the back story about their attempted move to Iona. "As if an island could ever break your heart". As I say, interesting. They now live in Kintra on Mull. It speaks a lot to me about Toben and I trying to stay here and how difficult that was. I had always known the song, but suddenly it made sense in a whole new way. He's another like Kris Drever, I like everything he does.



9. A Tisket A Tasket by Ella Fitzgerald. I have a huge fondness for this song. I remember my Nana singing it all the time. I also just love that style of music. Ella Fitzgerald is one of my all time favourites, along with Billie Holiday. Other than it carrying the memory of my Nana in it, I'm not sure why I like this one more than some of the others. It makes me smile for some reason.



10. Ae Ford Kiss written by Robert Burns and performed by Eddi Reader. I love this song. This is always one of my top ten songs for me now. It somehow manages to always be relevant to me in some way. So go listen to it now and fall in love with it.




1 comment:

  1. You're right Sarah. I fell in love with Ae Fond Kiss.
    Thanks. :) -L

    ReplyDelete