Tuesday 21 August 2012

Somewhere you'd like to move.

I've spent the last four or five years going back and forth between Edinburgh and Iona, to the Iona Community and latterly to other places on the island. Since leaving the Community in 2010 I have moved every 4-6 months. In May this year, however, Toben got the job as Warden of Bishops House on Iona. This job has no end date. This is a lovely feeling. We don't have to start the desperate search for winter accommodation this year. Or for a few years to come. Having finally secured both jobs and accommodation on possibly one of the most difficult places to find both these things at the same time, I find it hard to answer this question of 'somewhere you'd like to move'.

I just have moved, and Iona is somewhere I was pretty happy to move to. Beautiful place? Check. Wonderful people? Check. Nice place to live? Check. Enjoyable job? Check. Great way of life? Triple check.

Don't get me wrong, there's loads of places I'd like to go and there are many places that feel like home for me. My parents house in Edinburgh still feels like home, which is not surprising given that I lived in it for about twenty years of my life. Then there are places that I feel very comfortable and familiar with, so much so that they feel a little like home. I feel very at home in a tent in Glencoe in the rain for example. A camper van on a scraggly outcrop on Mull feels very home-like when we go back every year.

But for now at least, I'm happy where I am. I can't really think of anywhere else I would really like to live.

Maybe this should be called "Somewhere you'd like to stay" instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment